Copyright © 2013 Tauhara Sunrise Lodge
Taupo | New Zealand
Phone +64 7 376 8555
All rights reserved
Luxury accommodation in a boutique lodge environment What to look for in New Zealand
Visitors to our boutique lodge in Taupo, New Zealand, often try to compare what we're offering to what they've experienced either in their home country or elsewhere around the world. They generally conclude that boutique lodges in New Zealand are in a category of their own, influenced in part by the relaxed and friendly nature of kiwis (New Zealanders), in part by New Zealand's dramatic landscapes and vistas, and in part by the food and wine culture that is a major part of the New Zealand experience.
Owners of boutique lodges have typically traveled extensively around the world. They have been inspired by what they've seen and experienced in their global travels, and have sought to blend these inspirations with what they love about New Zealand to create warm, friendly, world-class hospitality experiences.
If this sounds like the kind of experience you would enjoy, here are a few pointers:
- Look for properties that have a Qualmark 4 or 5 star rating. Qualmark is New Zealand tourism's official mark of quality.
- Look for properties whose owners personally deliver the hospitality. Many such properties have a page on their web site profiling the hosts. Review this page and see if they sound like the kind of people you'd like to spend some time with.
- Look for properties that give you an opportunity to enjoy complimentary pre-dinner drinks and canapes (or hors d'oeuvres). New Zealand wines, already world-class, are getting better and better, and the chance to sample some of these wines while mixing with your hosts and other guests from around the globe should not be missed.
- Read between the lines to determine whether you feel the property and its hosts are customer-oriented. For example, do they offer complimentary laundry services? Complimentary high-speed internet? Assistance with planning other aspects of your New Zealand itinerary? If you cannot determine this from a review of their web site, a little email correspondence will soon let you form an opinion.
- Check them out on Trip Advisor. This is the ultimate source of information on the experiences others have had while staying at particular properties.