Copyright © 2014 Tauhara Sunrise Lodge
Taupo | New Zealand
Phone +64 7 376 8555
All rights reserved
Taupo activities for the over 40's
The Lake Taupo region has a well deserved reputation as the adventure capital of the North Island with such adrenalin activities as skydiving, bungyjumping, jetboating and whitewater rafting. But what does the region have to offer travelers who are interested in more sedate activities? Here's a partial list of options:
- 2 world class golf courses - the Wairakei International, which is a stately course, beautifully maintained, and the newer Kinloch course - a Jack Nicklaus signature course. Both courses are within 15 minutes of Tauhara Sunrise Lodge
- Many fabulous walks and hikes. These include bush walks, lake walks and mountain walks. Becky, your host at Tauhara Sunrise, has done virtually all of the walks in the region and is happy to share her knowledge with guests and time permitting, even take guests on guided walks and hikes.
- Thermal parks. The most scenic of these parks are about 40 minutes north of Taupo en route to Rotorua. These include Waiotapu and Waimangu, both of which have been very popular with our guests.
- Fly fishing or boat fishing. The Taupo region is known as the trout fishing capital of the world and with good reason: there are more than a dozen great fishing rivers within one hour of Taupo and the lake itself offers magnificent trolling. Tauhara Sunrise has a wide selection of waders, boots and rods which it makes available to guests.
- Boutique shopping, art galleries, cafes and restaurants. Taupo offers substantially better shopping than Queenstown, has some fabulous galleries and many excellent cafes and restaurants
- Wine tasting. Taupo is home to Scenic Cellars, which boasts the largest underground cellar of any wine outlet in New Zealand. Wine tastings are available there. The region is now also home to a number of vineyards including Kuratau River Wines, Martin Watt Wine and Omori Estate. These vineyards are producing excellent Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris, as well as some wines specifically developed to accompany the wild foods of our region - in particular trout and venison.
So as you can see there's lots to do in Taupo and because Taupo is so central to the key tourist destinations of the North Island, many people choose Taupo accommodation versus other Central North Island options. Another reason to choose Taupo for your accommodation needs is the sheer beauty of the region and the views offered by many of the lodges like Tauhara Sunrise. If you click here you will see the Lake Taupo Facebook page which has probably the largest collection of photos of the region of any site on the web. One look and you will appreciate the majestic beauty of our region.Back to News